Friday, January 21, 2011

The Quest for Proper Documentation

I was telling hubby today felt a lot like a Quest. No not quite so epic as the holy grail but it definitely was a journey with ups and downs all in search of something that should be easy to find but kept seeming right out of our grasp: My children's social security cards (and numbers).

Now this quest actually began 3 and a half years ago when I had C. The hospital I went to was nice (in that they had nice rooms and staff and brought me a breast pump) but on the paperwork at the time their office staff left a bit to be desired. I filled out all the proper forms to issue a number, card, and birth certificate yet I did not get confirmation of submission and the copy of the birth certificate until after I got J's information (he was delivered at a different hospital) over a year later!

I never received C's card. Not sure if it was a mailing glitch or what but they did have the proper address so who knows.

Well J had a card but just recently it was misplaced and we were waiting on E's (though we had received the confirmation).

I need all three children's social security numbers (especially since we're in the process of switching insurance) and this set us off on our quest.

I was told by a Social Security representative a week ago we would need copies of the kids birth certificates. So we ordered those (since ours are away in a deposit box and we didn't have a copy of E's yet). They arrived and I called the SS people again.

Well a major flaw in our government services lines of communications lines in my opinion is that it's so hard to get through to a real person.

I called 4 times this morning and the first three times only spoke with a computer. I just wanted to see if I could get the numbers if I went in today. Well if you choose "get replacement card" the first question they ask is what is your number. If they skip this or if you give them your personal number they then ask for your name and mother's maiden name.

I requested to speak to a representative and the response is "I understand you may wish to speak to a customer service representative, however my system can help you with many of your questions such as __(long list)_ in much less time. Would you still like to speak to a customer representative?"
"Yes."
"Alright, I'll transfer you. The average wait time for the next representative is _Less than one minute_"
(I think I'm getting somewhere!)
"BUT before you talk to the representative I need to ask you a few questions which will take approximately three minutes....What is your name....mother's maiden name?"

And we're back to square one and if they don't understand you may end up in phone limbo talking to yourself. At last after they asked if my maiden name was "Nh spelled N-H." I got through to a real person.

And finally found out you don't need birth certificates (they won't take them) you need shot records." Luckily E already had a doctor's appointment (which I'll write on after this) and I could call ahead to request the forms.

The appointment was not without it's own trials but did overall go well and I got the forms.

And we made it to the social security office with all forms already filled out and shot records, and birth certificates just in case.

Now thankfully hubby was there to watch E (so they did not have to go in) and I did get the numbers. BUT I do not envy anyone who ever has to go to a government office to work or otherwise on any day. It was very scary though I got through it unharmed.

First of all if you wouldn't go to work that day don't go to social security (as in if you look like you're ready to go back to bed and sleep anything off).

Second though the person who helped me was very nice overall it was very similar to the post office scene in Men in Black II....aka I'm pretty sure all the aliens don't work at the post office...they work at social security. Nice aliens but yes very strange.

We did it though. Even though my number was called a couple minutes after closing and everything. We have the numbers and the cards are on their way. And I'm very very glad I don't have to go on this quest again for awhile.

For anyone else who has to go in the future, get all the proper documentation and then some, ahead of time as we did. And I wish you well.

Also note to my kids: I truly hope when you're old enough to need to visit any government office in search of documents that we have done away with automated calls (though it's doubtful). If not I'm sorry and I will attempt to navigate these calls for you when I can to save you the frustration :)

Also as my mother did me you WILL be memorizing your social security numbers (even if Daddy doesn't know his lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment