Thursday, January 27, 2011

Amusing Stressful Moments-Today's Chips

Today I have found a break for some blog time earlier than usual, thanks to Daddy getting out and home early.

We've had a nice day today overall but did have a pretty big, crazy moment which C and J got in a lot of trouble for. The kids were going between their room and the living room playing kitchen and baking. I checked on their room and all was in order and relatively organized despite a morning of playing and only a few play dishes were roaming the living room. I sat down to nurse E in the living room. C and J were going back and forth still. Well J came out and went to the bathroom....I thought.

I hear a rustling from the kitchen and see a small hand pushing a bag up onto the counter.....I ask J what are you doing? And J bolts (in that ever so common fashion of the obviously guilty child) back to his room.

E was not too happy about the break in nursing but I sat her in the swing and went to investigate. And I find C and J hiding under blankets....with several bowls full of Daddy's Tomato and Basil chips on the carpet around them. Of course there are chips everywhere and the carpet, along with their faces and hands have taken on a red tint.

After a long conversation, clean up, and loss of tv time and kitchen toys for the rest of the day I was able to return to E (C and J still apologizing sweetly) and sit and think about how much "fun" that was. And I thought of how as messy and horrible as that mess was. That it's still definitely a moment and a memory I'll cherish someday....after I deep clean the carpets lol.

My Mother-in-law called shortly after and laughed as I recounted the events. She said how it's one more step in the kids independence and testing and one more thing that I'll have to tell them about when they have their own kids.

Part of the payback for our own childhood as well as one of the stressful yet amusing moments of parenthood. She told me how I should be thankful today was only chips. Because she's seen it all with her three and before I know it they may be bringing me "cakes" of molasses, flour, cookies, cereal, chips,...and anything else they can reach on the counters or from the cabinets.

Thinking about this. And what my siblings and I have challenged our parents with at this age I'm able to look at Today's Chips as a more amusing challenge for me to take on.

As a parent you often must sigh, laugh, and move on. Hope the kids learn the lesson, and it (or something worse) doesn't happen again but if it does just be ready to take it on once again and try to look at the amusing side in the long run more than the stressful side. This to shall pass and it's definitely one more wonderful somewhat stressful memory lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment