Today GT was closed as it is tomorrow too so we all are having a few extra home days. And we were planning lots of fun in the snow with Daddy today, but our dreams of snowmen and snow angels were thwarted when we stepped out onto the white sheet which is our front yard and heard "crunch, crunch, crunch."
The snow all had a thick layer of ice on it. Luckily on the yard the kids still sunk through it but our driveway was a different matter. I kept the kids distracted trekking through the yard as Daddy tried to chop through the ice with a hoe. No chance of driving on it tomorrow though, despite his progress.
A couple of trucks went down the road while we were out playing, and though they did make it, by no means stayed in their lane at all. Tires were spinning and the cars were sliding back and forth as they slowly made it through the neighborhood. Even though we currently have a four wheel drive vehicle, we are nowhere near brave (or perhaps foolish) enough to attempt to drive on that. A neighbor attempted to get out of their driveway in a sedan while we were out and just spun out for several minutes and then gave up.
In between us watching the cars at a very safe distance the kids were bringing us sheets of "crunchy snow." I love how it looked but was definitely sad the kids couldn't have as much fun as they planned, though they still enjoyed being outside in it either way. E was content to spend her time snuggled up asleep in the ergo (side note: I'm such a fan of this carrier and love how much more comfortable it is than my bjorns were with C and J, also love it lasts till 40lbs or more, I could carry C or J in it if I wanted).
Anyway, it figures we get a lot of snow and it's not the soft kind we'd like. This weather has been great incentive for knitting and crocheting though. I have officially begun knitting. I'm still getting the hang of it though and have been practicing more than working on the actual first project I have planned. It's definitely taking some getting used to but I'm still excited about it. I did take a short break for a couple quick crochet projects today in between my knitting lessons which I'll try and upload pics of soon.
Anyway here's some pictures of our Crunchy First Snow of 2011.
Last night when it'd been snowing only 2 hours or so
Today, the kids taking their first few steps onto our frozen yard
I had to adjust camera settings so this would show up, but it also made the pics a lot darker then it was at the time. You can see what I mean by "crunchy snow" really well here though.
J wanted to make a snowball
This was what he got instead!
C and her ice pieces
Playing in the snow
The road!
Check out the layer of ice on this piece J picked up
No comments:
Post a Comment