Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Camera Free Weekend, & A Resolution/Request

Well I know I've been slacking on the photos the last couple days. This originally was not by choice, but necessity. Both my cameras were completely full and being the slightly obsessive woman I am at times, clearing out a memory card is no easy task for me. I don't trust putting my digital files in only one place so I don't only back up files on my laptop as I need to I also do massive information dumps to my portable hard drive and often to my desktop as well. I'm also hoping to buy some sort of online file storage in the future as well and eventually spend a small fortune on printing absolutely everything.

Anyway so I haven't had the time to do that yet and with my mom coming to visit the task got pushed further back on the priority list, but despite the twinges of disappointment at not having photos of some of the cute moments the past few days it was rather a relief to have a camera free weekend.

I'm not sure why every parent takes pictures of course but perhaps it is similar to my reasons. I personally take pictures because 1) children change so quickly 2) I don't remember as much as I'd like to from my childhood and looking at pictures of moments I don't remember as well and people who've made an impact on my life and the person I've become means a lot to me, and 3)to share images of the kids with people I don't see as often as I'd like (especially family who's not nearby).

Unfortunately while taking pictures I'm often missing being in the actual moment with my kids. Yes my kids are comfortable with me being behind the lens and snapping away, and they even enjoy posing and hamming it up, but it does make me a little sad I'm not as in the action and looking back I'm not in the shots with them as often.

I often think at family events when I'm snapping away, of my Uncle Ken. My sister and brother have both referenced him when people are snapping away or holding the video camera instead of participating. He was always the photographer at my mom's family's get-togethers when I was growing up and thus isn't in as many of the pictures when we look back though he took most of them.

There is definitely a balance between taking pictures of memories and just making sure you're a part of the memory whether there's a photo of it or not.

So this weekend it was nice having the mental and physical weight of the camera lifted from me.

The kids had a wonderful time with Ami visiting. They colored and made eclairs and chicken casserole and had a great time. E was grinning, rolling, and laughing with a couple moments of her new slightly more stubborn (but still happy) side shining through. Daddy put the kids new playground set (2 slides and a swing set) together in the backyard since the ice has finally all melted (just in time for a snow prediction for tomorrow lol).

And I'm sure tomorrow I will go crazy resuming taking pictures of the kids new adventures in the backyard, but I have enjoyed this flash free, click free weekend none the less.

Also the lack of photo taking reminded me of my childhood when photos were taken much more sparingly (mainly around holidays and special events and activities) and when we mailed pictures but couldn't share them so quickly online and I realized something. I have several family members and friends I've only seen their children in pictures and visa versa. Now some of us have the excuse we are very far apart, but some we are so close and just get busy and haven't found the time to meet yet. I think of how much more often I saw them when I was growing up versus now and it makes me really sad to think about.

So fairly far into January I'm making another resolution/request: I will do everything I can to make the time to invite them/yall to come to our place or go visit them/yall (if yall will have us over). If you don't want to see me and my kids or if it's just not possible just tell me and I'll stop trying, but if not I will be trying my hardest to reconnect. Especially since I'm not sure if/when we move later this Spring/Summer we'll have the opportunity to be so close and visit. I would like to make some new memories for my children of more of their extended family whether on camera or not (though I'll admit I'll probably have a camera handy), like the many wonderful memories I have from my childhood.

Also for those a bit further away (requiring plane trips most likely) I hope the changes in the next year will allow my family to come meet your children as well and reconnect with you in real life too!

I love you all, no matter if we've seen each other recently or not in several years (other than online) and I hope to make the most of our relationships in real life again soon! It's crazy how much a camera free weekend can let me see it seems :)

No comments:

Post a Comment