Tonight we had an extra ICAN meeting and as always I left feeling enlightened, relaxed, and invigorated!
For those of you who haven't heard me mention this before. ICAN is the International Cesarean Awareness Network. The Atlanta group meets twice a month usually, once in Midtown and once in Alpharetta. We get together to talk about birth. We are all about encouraging informed consent, preventing unnecessary cesareans, and sharing about one of the most incredible experiences of everyone's life, birth. Whether this be our own births, our friends expecting, or the birth of our children.
Most of the moms have had cesareans, many found the group when looking for information on vaginal birth after cesarean, VBAC. Some were lucky enough to find the group when they were being pushed towards unnecessary surgery the first time around and avoided getting cut (even delivering breech vaginally).
I personally found ICAN of Atlanta's meetings and their website and forums after J was born. C was born by necessary c-section, J was born by an unnecessary one. I trusted my doctor (as all women should be able to) and he lied and failed me. Hubby and I realized there was more going on when as I lay cut open on the table the doctor said I had almost no scar tissue and could have delivered vaginally after all (after he had been saying the whole pregnancy that wasn't safe with so little time between births). Also J was put in serious risk being delivered this way, especially at 38 weeks with no sort of assessment of his lung development (there have been several recommendations made that inductions and cesareans take place past 39 weeks now and several local hospitals have made this policy).
I researched and questioned. And when I was expecting E I went back with all the knowledge I had. For example the risk of uterine rupture in a VBA2C is no more than that of a 3rd c-section. The infant and mother mortality rate is higher in c-sections than VBACs. Trial of Labor has been shown to be beneficial for baby and mother in most cases whether the outcome is cesarean or not. The VBAC success rate is 85%! 80% of women told they have CPD or too small pelvis who try to have a VBAC are successful. Many babies lungs are not developed at 38 weeks. And so on.
I was able to have an educated discussion with sources like the National Institute of Health's Consensus and the American College of Obstetrics recommendations to back up my choice. And after the doctor realized I knew what I was talking about his only reason for another c-section was "You healed wonderfully, why mess with a good thing?"
He then offered to let me attempt VBAC IF I went into labor before 40 weeks, didn't labor more than 12 hours, etc. etc. I saw unfortunately my trust in him was ill placed (though I do say he's a great surgeon) and I switched to a doctor who ICAN recommended not because he doesn't do cesareans but because he doesn't do them if they're not necessary! And I had a vaginal birth at 40 weeks 3 days gestation. 3 days could have made the difference in me having a major unnecessary surgery and putting my child and myself (mother to my other children who need me as well) at risk.
I'm so thankful for ICAN. I wish I'd known when I first got pregnant to ask for a second opinion. As one lady put it tonight. If you were having surgery for cancer or something you would want a second opinion. If you were having work done on your car you might look at various mechanics. So why don't we ask around when choosing our OBs who will be present at our births and help us deliver our precious babies into the world.
To all the women out there who are already mothers or will be someday don't fear questioning your doctor. They are not infallible and some do do major surgery unnecessarily. Make sure you are informed to avoid putting you and your child at risk if it's not truly necessary.
Honestly I am very very thankful for my first cesarean, it was necessary for C, but that does not mean I have to sign up for any more if not necessary. And as the facts show that does not mean it's the best option for my future children.
I love that ICAN is spreading this message. The National Cesarean rate is 32%, while our groups rate is 15% and the majority of the women in our group are high risk: have had previous c-sections, breech, multiples. We've had a triplet VBAC and 2 VBA5Cs even!
I love how strong these women are. I love how smart they are. And I love how we all truly want the absolute best births for our children (cesarean or vaginal). I really love ICAN.
Our meetings are open to everyone (yes even husbands) if anyone's ever interested in tagging along with me. I've also met some awesome mothers of fellow ICAN-ers at the meetings. They're also an international group so if you're in a different state you should look for a meeting near you.
There are occasionally tears, but there's also a lot of laughs. I always feel welcomed and I leave feeling stronger, like "I can" do anything. I love to say "ICAN and I did" about my VBAC, but it's more than that I feel I can do anything I set my mind and body to. My body can do anything, it was made to create, deliver, and nurture babies and it has.
I'm so blessed to have found this group. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment