Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Knitting and A nice day

So I began knitting after New Years, as planned. And by began I mean I figured out needles and what all the random things in my learn to knit kit were and then read lots of patterns, watched a few videos, knitted a couple very very tightly stitched dish cloths till my hands hurt frogged both, started, restarted....and finally day before yesterday I relaxed and it clicked.

My too tight stitches became perfect size and began to easily glide on and off the needles. I actually started enjoying the process and getting into it. And most exciting for me I got the pretty little Vs of the stocking stitch I'd been hoping for, to look as they're meant too. So the last couple days I've been able to add knitting to my daily routine, in between playing with the kids, reading to them, cleaning, cooking, crocheting, and yet also finding some time before bed to read too (usually out loud to E but my books so it counts lol). I still have a long way to go with knitting and it does seem to take longer than crochet but I do love the result.

Here's a couple in progress pics from my experimental scarf I made in the last couple days. I made my own graph and put a B and heart in it, not perfect but not horrible either. It's about 3 times this long now.

One complaint I have on knitting is unlike crochet you can't get the needles you need as easily. With crochet you can buy a kit of the main needles you'll need when you start for $10 but with knitting each needle can be from 4-20 (or more I expect) and you sometimes need a new set and size needle for each project. As per some friends suggestions I'm looking into getting an interchangeable kit (can run $70 or more) but will wait till I finish the scarf pattern I'm starting tomorrow first.

Also on crochet, I'm still on my flower kick and got some hair clips tonight which I'm going to attach some flowers too which a friend requested (hope she likes the finished ones, it will still be a bit before I'm done though I think with meetings and doctors appts. in the next few days).

Other than my yarn endeavors the big development this week was hubby finally returning to class (after the break and extra time off due to the snow). Though the kids miss Daddy we've been doing well getting back into the routine. Still waiting for hubby to put the swing set/slide up (there was still ice on the ground where we wanted it the last few days).

Today was very nice though mostly spent indoors then as a treat we all went out to dinner together. We haven't been out to eat as often since E arrived (more of we've been out the 5 of us to restaurants twice that I remember before tonight), but the kids were great as always. I did get the fun juggling of taking C and J to the potty before and after the meal but even that went perfectly. They're nice about waiting and taking turns which is helpful.

Back at the table C and J both remembered to use silverware not hands (even eating salad with spinach that's very hard to stab), said Thank You to each waitress we saw, and remembered their inside voices (most of the time) and E was my easy sweetheart content to look around a bit from her carrier, smile at me, and then doze. It was a nice change for all of us and I came home feeling surprisingly relaxed.

Now my knitting is calling and I'm going to try and at least cast on my new project and get some reading in before bed. A great end to a very nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment