I was thinking this morning as I was singing to E and J before we got up (C was still sleeping)how all the songs I sing to my children, I remember my mother singing to me when I was little. The main memory I have of her singing to me was at night after my bath before bed. She'd sing "Rise and Shine" as she got me out of the tub and wrapped me in a towel then cradled in her arms she would rock and sing to me. I still feel warm all over remembering those times and those songs. I have sense sang to my children these songs and have wrapped them each up and rocked them to my lullabies. C and J now know the words to many of these songs and will sing along. So I want to write down the songs and lyrics here, since they have meant so much to me and to my children. And I hope someday I get to sing them to my grandchildren.
Here's a few of them, I'm sure I'll be adding more to this list later:
Hush Little Baby
Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
If that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.
If that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat.
If that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull.
If that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.
If that dog named Rover won't bark.
Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart.
If that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.
Rise and Shine
Rise and shine
And give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine
And give God the glory, glory
Rise! And shine! And!
Give God the glory, glory
Children of the Lord
Sweetest Little Fella (My mom's version for me was for brown eyes, the original is blue)
Sweetest Little Fella
Everybody knows
Don't know what to call her but she's mighty like a rose
Looking at her Mommy
With eyes of shining brown
Makes you think that heaven is coming close to town
When she's there a sleeping
In her little place
Think I see the angels
Peaking through the lace
When the night has fallen and the shadows peep
Then they come on tippy toes to kiss her in her sleep
Sweetest Little Fella
Everybody knows
Don't know what to call her but she's mighty like a rose
Blue Eye Version:
Looking at her/his Mommy
With eyes of shining blue
Makes you think that heaven
is coming close to you
Tura Lura Lura
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Hush, now don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
That's an Irish lullaby.
Banbury Cross
Ride a cockhorse to Banbury cross
To see a fine lady upon a white horse
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
She shall make music wherever she goes
Baby Mine (from Dumbo)
Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine
Little one when you play
Don't you mind what you say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine
If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you
From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine
If I had words
If I had words to make a day for you,
I'd sing a morning golden & true
I would make this day last for all time
then fill the night deep with moonshine
If I could make a day for you
I'd give you a morning golden & true
I would make this day last for all time..
then fill the night deep with moonshine
And of course each child's more specific songs I've mentioned before
C: God is Watching over you Phil Joel
I knew I loved you before I met you Savage Garden
J: Your Song Elton John
Hey Jude The Beatles
E: You'll be in my heart Phil Collins
Voice of Truth
No comments:
Post a Comment