Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sibling Love from a 9 week old's perspective

Recently E has becoming more and more aware of her surroundings. She had the Mommy radar down early on. If I was in the room even before I said anything she seemed to know and would quickly show that she wanted to be transferred to my arms. As the weeks went by she became more aware of the other people who frequented her surroundings and the two most exciting of those are of course Big Sis C and Big Bro J. She loves to sit in her boppy pillow or swing and watch them play. She will grin and smile when they talk or sing to her. She will look around and roll a little from side to side (not onto the belly completely yet) to look for them if they go to their room and you can tell if she could she'd be running after them.

Monday E turned 2 months old and today she is 9 weeks old and the last couple days her connection to her siblings has extended yet again, now to crying. Luckily my 3 and 2 year olds do not cry that often and we have been able to deter a lot of the whining/tantrum stage however they do still have the random outbursts when they're tired or stir crazy (as has been the last couple days since the rain kept us inside). However, every time C or J cry I will soon hear the echo from E sympathizing with her big siblings. Whether she's in her bassinet or in my arms it doesn't matter if she hears them cry she must in turn and just as soon as they stop she does as well. As quick as a light switch she's on and then off again. Despite that I don't want her getting upset I also see the love in this and it's nice that I can say "you're upsetting your little sister" and they will stop in an attempt to soothe her as well. It amazes me that they already have this connection.

When E first starting doing it I thought maybe it was just that she didn't like the loud noise of them crying but it is specific to them crying. She's a very easy going baby overall and won't cry if they're just loud in general or even when our super loud house alarm is going off, but her big siblings being upset is the one sound she can't take. I can't think of this in any other way but a 9 week old's way of showing her love. She already wants her big sister and big brother to be happy and if they aren't she can't be. It's amazing for me to see this early form of sibling love and I look forward to seeing it grow and develop more in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment