Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Music of Motherhood

I hope I'll be able to keep up with the blog through the holiday but I figured just in case I'm too busy for that I'll take any moment I have in the meantime to write down some thoughts.

My current moment's peace is brought to you by the nursing baby on my chest and my two toddlers "reading" to each other on the living room floor. Someone witnessing the current scene might claim this is quiet, and compared to the more exciting moments of the day they may be technically right. But though my house is calm right now and my kids' variety of noises are all within normal volume levels my life is never quiet and the noises are constantly changing.

Right now I hear the lull of my washer going, it will soon finish it's cycle and I'll need to go put the load in the dryer. I hear the ice maker working, and E has now finished her meal and is working on a gift for me so I hear small baby grunts. C and J are now singing to each other. And in between these I hear my mind busily working, worrying, planning, for the next meal, moment, and necessity. Even while writing this I have a Thanksgiving grocery list forming in my mind, along with the menu for tonight's dinner, and plans to do some cleaning and decor before my Sister in laws arrive tonight.

This is the music of my life, the hymn of motherhood in an sense. No it is never quiet and the thought of true silence with children makes me very nervous honestly but it is a beautiful harmony with the tempo always changing and it's definitely never boring. Even when all my babes are asleep I listen to the rhythms of every breath they pass. I hear the wind against the windows and am thankful my family is warm inside. And although my thoughts may slow I still fall asleep with plans for the next day filling my mind.

I love this song even when it is at times stressful and I wouldn't trade it for the silent moments of my previous life or anything else. Must run baby E is ready for her change and so is the laundry. Can't let the tune stop and wouldn't want to anyway.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment