Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Aunt Ruth's Visitation and Funeral


Yesterday we moved up a doctor's appt. for the morning and then headed to North Ga late that afternoon for the visitation last night and funeral today.

The trip was pretty easy going though we got a bit of extra bad news. Hubby's uncle was having some chest pains and shortness of breath so he went to the doctor and they found multiple clots in his chest. He is going in for surgery Thursday morning so please keep him in your prayers.

The kids stayed with Ami/my mom at her house while Hubby and I attended the visitation. It was nice seeing so many family members though I wish it had been under happier circumstances. Aunt Ruth was wearing her pink suit and had her nails done perfect and pink as well. It was a nice touch though I knew that was only her body and her spirit wasn't there. There were beautiful pink flowers everywhere. With her love of flowers and gardening I know she would've loved it. There were also pictures of her and her family which were wonderful to see. The black and white ones of her and my uncle when they were newlyweds were especially perfect. You could definitely see the love and joy in here face as he held her in his arms. I am glad they are together again now. There was also an amazing picture that my cousin took at Yellowstone that looked like the two of them were walking into the clouds. It was one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in my life and held even more significance now. I hope to get a copy of it later.

The funeral was today and was beautiful though definitely filled with a lot of tears. My mom and I went while Daddy watched the kids since they're not old enough to understand. The preacher was very close to Aunt Ruth so he worked many things about her life and things she loved into the service, mainly her family, her garden, and fishing :) Many times people would laugh and smile through the tears. As he said we're filled with joy because we know she's in heaven with my uncle but with sorrow because we miss her so.

My second cousin who is a Bluegrass singer and banjo player sang as he was accompanied by a friend playing my uncle's guitar. The music was beautiful and I know Aunt Ruth would've loved it. He said how of all the treasures one could own none would compare to the treasure his grandmother was. In the bible it says to give your treasures to the Lord but trusting and having faith in him as he holds the people we treasure in Heaven means the most.

The service seemed over quickly as has this week, with lots of hugs and tears. Several aunts and cousins told me how I was special to Aunt Ruth. I always felt this way but hearing about how she told others about me with that same love and pride she showed me definitely warmed my heart.

We talked about various memories of her. Of the foods she cooked (which are all my main comfort foods now), the time spent at her house, the stories she told me, her flowers, how she wrapped one of her amazing pies for our wedding present and it was my favorite one lol, and so on. She was truly one in a million and I am so blessed to have had her in my life and she will always be in my heart.

The preacher said so much about her positive spirit, love, and strength in her life and her faith, and how we should all try to channel a bit of her in our daily lives. I hope I am up to the challenge and commitment so maybe I can be even 1/100th of as wonderful an influence on someone's life as she was on so many, including mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment