I've been meaning to write on this for a bit now. February 22nd marked the one year anniversary of my joining the ICAN message board group, and the first week in March was my first meeting last year. I have since become a member of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) Atlanta Chapter.
Through these wonderful moms and birth professionals (our members include doctors, midwives, doulas, and CBEs as well) I've learned so much this past year.
When I first joined I was just trying to avoid a third c-section but I've since learned there's so much more to birth than just c-section versus vaginal delivery. I've learned how much education makes a difference in your birth and I've developed a passion for everything birth.
I've been so supported by the wonderful ladies both in my own pregnancy and birth and any other random questions on parenting along the way and been inspired to further my knowledge of birth and hopefully help other parents make the most of their own births, getting the healthiest experience both physically and emotionally for them and their children (and yes that might be cesarean even).
I am happy to celebrate my First ICAN-iversary with many to come. I hope we stay in the Atlanta area but if not I know this amazing national organization will be part of my life for many years to come.
For moms with any birth history of any age, check if there's an ICAN group in your area. It's really an amazing group working to help make the most of all births through furthering education and awareness! And if you're ever around here and available around the first Wednesday of the month or the third Saturday and want to tag along with me to a meeting let me know :)
No comments:
Post a Comment