Friday, September 9, 2011

Looooong Sick Week

Okay I begin this as a request to all the other parents out there, but I'm sure this is a bit of a vent as well: Please use common sense and common courtesy if your kids are sick! Whether the common cold, a stomach virus, or the random fever: let other parents know if your children were sick when inviting them to your house for say.....a playdate, party, etc. If your children are very obviously sick keep them home to not spread whatever they have.

I do not keep my kids in a bubble. I am overprotective to an extent I'll admit but I'm also logical. I want my kids to have strong immune systems. I won't medicate for the common cold or random fever. I also delay vaccinations if you're curious. BUT I also don't go out of my way to expose my kids to certain illnesses. This comes from the fact my kids will get exposed normally without me purposely putting them around other sick kids, C's NICU time and my concerns with what she's exposed to still in how she may react honestly, and the fact I am currently very pregnant and have three little ones who are fairly young still.....and as much as I love my family and will bend over backwards for them who in their right mind really wants their kids and self sick while being pregnant?

I also will admit on stomach viruses I am slightly emetophobic and don't do well with those at all (in general) and I do take extra precautions on those as do several friends who feel the same way. I appreciate that they are upfront about if their kids are even slightly sick actually and seem to "get it."

I also need to say Thank you to the friends and family members who have always been forthright about their kids being sick or just showing signs of a cold even so I can decide for my family if risking exposure is worth it. I will always show the same courtesy and be open in this as well.

Anyway some of that may allude to how my "oh so fun" past week began but I won't go into more details there. Here's how it continued (copy pasted after recounting it to some other friends).

E, my almost 1 year old, got exposed to a nasty cold over a week ago. She got a fever and congestion Wednesday, fever broke Friday but congestion continued throughout the weekend. Sunday her cough got really bad and she had some snotty diapers/slight diarrhea. Sunday night she was upset and couldn't stop coughing until she emptied her stomach of lots of congestion. After that she was happy as can be. Still slight snotty nose since and the rare cough at night the first half of the week, but as of Thursday seems mostly over it (*knock on wood*).

C, my 4 year old, started showing symptoms Friday last week but no fever. She is my best at blowing her nose/coughing into a tissue constantly (to the extent she has a red spot under her nose on her lip). Tuesday was her roughest days cough wise but she got through it with nothing more than muscous in stools like E had Sunday, and just had the slightly snotty nose, night cough as well after that.

I started showing symptoms but to a lesser degree between C and J's starts and Tuesday night woke up in a coughing fit where I almost got sick but hubby forced me to sip water and I made it through just with burning throat and general misery the next morning.

J, my 3 year old, had the same situation as C, but started showing symptoms Saturday and is not good with tissue use, then went to course on the following days of symptoms it seems (without fever) then Tuesday had less appetite but ate well same things as us. We had dinner at 8:30. Wednesday morning he slept in till 10 then woke with a coughing fit and threw up dinner. He was fine the rest of the day though had the mucous in his stools just like the other two. He ate about half his normal portions but ate well still and in good spirits. Then when preparing for bed he had a small coughing episode and spit up a little (though may have just been belch). He went to sleep and woke with another coughing fit and threw up some of dinner, an hour after that a tiny coughing fit and a little amount. Then went to sleep and has been fine since (*knock on wood*).

Thursday and Friday, J ate great and actually has been saying he's hungry for a change from the past few days. We did do the BRAT diet to an extent. He didn't have any more coughing fits or getting sick from them thankfully. C and E have only had slightly runny noses since which seem to be drying up more and more.

So anyway this week was not fun. I learned J may just have a more sensitive gag reflex (also shown by him having gotten carsick a couple times in the past) and I'm praying the next cold does not bring that back since I'm really not good taking care of that....(thinking about it, discussing it, etc. etc.).

I am so thankful God helped us through it all and everyone is well for the most part now, though I must admit some disbelief and resentment the kids had to go through it all to begin with.

I should be grateful we went through it now and not a few weeks from now after K's arrival as well though.

I will be continuing to teach my kids proper hygiene techniques as well as continuing common courtesy of letting people know if my kids or I have been sick recently or are currently sick of course.

Here's to fall around the corner and *Crossing fingers* for more well weeks to come! And if some colds/viruses sneak in may they please be as mild as possible and nothing like this crap we just fought through the past week for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment