Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago, 9/11

I can't believe it's been 10 years since the 9/11 attacks. So much has happened in the time since then, for our country and for me personally, yet it still feels like just yesterday and in the same breath so much longer ago.

I know many people today reflected on where they were when they found out and what they were doing so I'm writing that here as well. I was in my Sophomore year of high school. My free period was second that day so I was between classes and wandered over to second floor of Mitchell before chapel. I remember noticing a commotion in the visitors' room (where there's a television and we weren't usually allowed to go in) and some students, teachers, and staff crowding in there. I knew something was happening and in the tension I went in too. Not sure what I expected but what I saw on the television was overwhelming. I remember everyone asking "Is that real?!" looking at the smoking tower and then seeing the second plane crash live and the collective cries of shock and horror. I remember one staff member in particular, Ms. Brooks turning away in tears and disbelief.

When the bell rang we all went to chapel, joined by the other teachers and students who had been in class. Some knew and some didn't. My school was boarding and there are kids from all over the country and world, some from New York and/or who had family there. I remember this really smart girl (who was lacking on common sense it seems) asking why people were scared and upset, since there was no way the terrorists would come to NC from NYC *sigh*.

I know one classmate found out later that her grandparents who worked in the building were gone.

I'm sad today for the lives lost, I remember the fear, etc. But I also know that my memories of all that will never compare to those there, those living in NY, those who lost family there. We don't have cable right now and was glad not to rewatch the footage just pray and remember in my own way and give a little comfort by listening to friends who were effected more traumatically share today. I'm not going judge whether people remember or not, whether they were more drastically effected or not, in the end it makes no point judging people for this. Today everyone needs to grieve in their own way as we all remember the good of the heroes and how people were brought together afterward. This day ten years ago was horrific and changed our lives and country a lot but there was positive that came out of it too, from the ashes so to say, and today I'm choosing to focus on that.

Honoring those lost, but never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment