Added late again (copy pasting from ICAN and editing date for when it happened)
L’s Birth Story Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 12:46pm
Background:
July
16, 2007: Our first daughter, C, was delivered via scheduled
c-section with EXIT procedure due to a condition with her neck (we were
both put to sleep and she was half delivered, intubated, and then fully
delivered). She was 8lbs 2oz 21 ¾ inches long at 38 weeks gestation and
had to spend a week in the NICU at Scottish Rite. My husband was not
allowed in the room during delivery though there were many med students
and staff present to witness the “rare procedure,” this made me feel a
bit on display and is something I’ve still had to work through in
subsequent births.
July 18, 2008: Our son, J, was delivered
via scheduled c-section at 38 weeks 2 days, weighing 8lbs 4oz 20 1/2
inches long, due to my doctor at the time not wanting to do VBACs with
only 12 months between and because he was going on vacation the
following week. The doctor also said during surgery I had almost no scar
tissue and probably could have VBAC-ed after all. This revelation was
what inspired us to begin researching VBAC, and finding out the true
facts about it for our next delivery.
September 15, 2010: When I
found out I was expecting our third (at 9 weeks along) I began planning
for a VBA2C. I switched to the best OB available in my area for VBA2C
at the time, Dr. Tate, at 15 weeks along. At 40weeks 3days E arrived weighing 8lbs 11oz 20inches long (story here)
via unmedicated spontaneous VBA2C and things progressed so quickly at
the hospital Dr. Tate was not able to make the delivery. However, he did
direct the resident Catherine Kress from the phone on his way and I
know without him my VBA2C probably wouldn’t have been possible and I am
eternally grateful.
October 22, 2011: Our fourth child, third
daughter surprised us and was due 13 months after our 3rd. Over the
course of that pregnancy we decided that the best choice for our family
this time around was a home birth. We chose Brenda Parrish of
Traditional Birth Services as our midwife, or felt more God chose her
for us. At 40weeks 1day K arrived at home after about 6
hours of labor at home, suprisingly in our tiny bath tub despite
beforehand my never imagining I would have a water birth. That story is here
Baby #5
We
found out we were expecting our 5th baby right before K's 1st birthday
in October 2012. We were very surprised because I had been charting my
cycle and had a much longer cycle then expected, conceiving on day 24
which was much out of the ordinary for me. The only reason I tested was I
had a dream the night before that I was expecting and the initial test
was more than a bit of a shock for us. According to these dates my due
date was June 17th, 2013 right after Daddy's birthday and Father's Day.
According to early ultrasound it was between this and the 19th. Despite
the surprise a little sooner than planned we were very happy and just
felt we should go in from the beginning planning another homebirth with
Traditional Birth Services/Brenda again.
We also decided we
wanted to keep the gender a surprise until birth. With our other
children we couldn't do this because from the start my symptoms followed
the classic old wives' tales and I just knew what I was having and
ultrasound would confirm that. This time around my symptoms were all
over the place and I would go back almost weekly on thinking girl or boy
so we agreed if we were going to not find out with any of our children
it better be this one.
From the start I was a little defensive
about people just assuming we wanted a boy since we only have one versus
our three girls and I loved the idea of another little girl though I
knew whoever God chose to give our family would be perfect. Michael did
say several times, thanks to my emotional outbursts, that he thought
girl. We also somehow agreed on a couple girls' names but could never
agree on a boy's and I had a very vivid birth dream with a little girl
(this was fairly close to the actual birth so maybe some foreshadowing,
though I also had some other vivid birth dreams that were just crazy
too).
We told our other children we were expecting on Christmas Eve (and got that reaction on video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkMDJSPuf0&feature=youtu.be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosBPU7Y-wo&feature=youtu.be
Our eldest, C, 5 at the time, first wanted a boy but then decided a
girl would be good too if she could name her Sleeping Beauty. She said
the new baby on the way was her favorite Christmas gift.
We nicknamed the baby JuneBug.
Somehow
despite Daddy's doubts and my own we managed to make it through the
anatomy scan and a 3d ultrasound not finding out the sex (baby's legs
were tightly locked and crossed to help us out).
As my fifth
baby I did pop sooner, and was bigger measuring throughout. I did not
notice many other differences from this during the pregnancy (other that
more annoyance from my diastasis a couple times maybe), but postpartum I
do think my cramps were a little more severe at first in helping shrink
my uterus. During this pregnancy I was very stressed because we also
bought a house and moved in in May. Thankfully all worked out and we
were in the best place, emotionally and physically for this baby's birth
when the time came.
Before birth my main goal was not to plan
and "expect" things to be a certain way. My mantra was "Don't expect,
accept." My previous birth I had a lot of comparisons and expectations
that held me back at first. I did have thoughts of things I might like
to happen during this birth but I really focused more on the bigger
picture and from the start tried to accept things would happen as they
were meant to. At the ICAN blessingway we had for Lindsey and I,
Shoshanah spoke on how "The story of your birth has already been
written, you have just to live it." This really felt true for L's labor
and birth and was something I thought on often through everything. I
also had a couple plaques in my room that said "Let your faith be
stronger than your fear" and "You're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." All of these came
back to me during birth.
In the week prior to birth I had a few
bouts of random contractions but nothing timeable. Though I did not "do"
the full hypnobirthing plan I did find a lot of peace in their
affirmations through this, especially ""every surge brings you closer to
your baby." I was more tired and felt like I was in homebody and
hibernation mode. I know my body was storing up energy for the work
ahead just like it did before K's birth.
At my last midwife
appointment I was measuring large and baby had turned posterior. I
believe this was due to stress because they couldn't find the heartbeat
at first (doppler was broken) and I had to lay on my back for awhile. I
did stress over baby position for awhile because of this but baby would
flip back and forth a lot still so I got past it, though kind of
expected this could cause false labor so I think this had me more
willing to doubt if labor was real when the time did come.
Monday, June 17th, 2013, 40 weeks
My
due date (based on charting) came and went, with it came a huge surge
of energy similar to the one I had before my third baby, E, arrived. I
woke up wanting to have a baby or plan something else in the meantime. I
really felt ready to take my whole family on vacation. I did find a
sense of peace with the baby not being here and not coming any time soon
maybe. I will admit the week before on my husband Michael's birthday
and on Father's day I had hoped to have the baby, and I'd even hoped to
just go anytime before my due date (for a change) but now that I was
there it was like a switch flipped and my body and mind just reached
acceptance about whatever was to come.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013, 40 weeks 1 day
The
day after my due date went well. I nested and cooked more than I had
for dinner in several days past. All day I felt very energetic but
somehow off as well. I wasn't contracting but felt pretty uncomfortable
to the extent I only wanted to sit on the birth ball. I also had no
appetite what so ever. Because I knew logically I could have the baby
relatively soon I forced myself to eat every time the kids did
throughout the day.
Michael had to go to Douglasville after work
to pick up some woodworking stuff. I was a little irritated he was going
to be a bit later coming home because of this but I also didn't feel
like I was in labor at all, just not myself and that I wanted him home.
The kids were being awesome and were great with a slightly later dinner.
Again I forced myself to eat despite not feeling hungry at all.
Michael
could tell I wasn't my normal self. I started having some random
contractions, but again nothing timeable, so I really doubted anything
would come of it but prodromal labor maybe.
After the kids went
to bed we headed to bed early as well. Michael reminded me that just
like me forcing myself to eat we should get some sleep too just in case.
We went to sleep around 9. Shortly after going to bed our 20 month old K
climbed out of her bed and into ours. I woke up around 9:30 with some
stronger contractions which seemed to actually have some pattern (though
I didn't time them). Laying on my side was miserable but I was pretty
tired. K then climbed on me trying to snuggle. I didn't want to wake her
and randomly enough, toddler on top of you while you lay on your side
has a similar effect to heating pad and hip squeezes it seems and
allowed me enough pain relief and distraction to stay in bed another
couple hours.
Around 11:30pm I woke up again. The contractions
were getting more annoying and I could no longer sleep through them. I
thought about working through them in the bedroom but our other 2
daughters had migrated into our room at some point and were asleep on
the floor (really out of character for them) so I decided to take a bath
in hopes of things stopping so I could return to bed or getting going
so I could have a baby.
I had a few contractions on the toilet
and though my stool was normal (not loose or hard) my body definitely
seemed to be clearing things out which I figured was a good sign for
days to come at least. Because my other two labors began with bloody
show and losing the mucus plug I kept looking for this and didn't have
it so didn't take things very seriously for showing baby on the way any
time soon.
Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 40w2d
The
bath was great but dulled things enough I kept just hoping to stop,
what I assumed, was prodromal labor, so I could go back to bed.
I
timed the contractions a little (just start times not duration) and
everything were about 5-6 minutes apart. My other labors contractions
were 1-2 minutes apart from the start so this felt like forever and I
just "knew" this couldn't be "it."
However, despite how sure I
was this wasn't "it", it wasn't stopping. I also had no problem working
through the contractions on my own though, which for me again means very
early labor, if it all. I just couldn't do the one thing I wanted, go
back to bed.
Somehow I just got in and out of the bath and
distracted myself through contractions I kept doubting were "real" till
about 4. A lot of this time was spent listening to pandora and playing
tetris between contractions. At 4 the contractions were still about 5
minutes apart but had gotten a bit stronger and I figured if they kept
up till 6am I would call my midwife, doula, photographer, and my mother
(our childcare) then, since at least that would be a reasonable wake up
time (even if it wasn't real labor) and they could arrange their
schedules and childcare for the day just in case they needed to come
over.
Michael woke up to check on me several times and he agreed
this was a good plan. He also was very happy to have gotten most of a
full night's sleep (which did not happen with our previous birth).
Around
5am I started considering maybe this was real. Maybe my baby was on the
way and my body was working towards everything. Despite my doubts I
knew "real or not" that every contraction was working either way of
course towards the big goal and as the affirmation said "every surge
brings you closer to your baby."
I was feeling a little more
energy, a little excitement that today may be the day, today I'd get to
find out who was in there kicking me, I'd get to see how things played
out, let my body do what it was made for, and then at about 5:45........
it all stopped.
The
contractions weakened, they spread over 10 minutes apart, and my moment
of energy, excitement, anticipation to call everyone just dropped with
it.
I went ahead and called my midwife Brenda and doula Talitha
at 6 as planned but felt like I'd just lost a night's sleep for nothing.
Brenda said she thought my body was just in very early labor and she'd
still prepare just in case she needed to cancel appointments for the day
after all.
Talitha reassured me it was working towards
something but to prepare myself that this could start or stop again
today or another day. I had told her my worries of baby being posterior
as well so she agreed that could be at play too. She said she would
arrange child care anyway just in case.
At 6:10 or so I climbed back in bed feeling defeated though trying to remain focused on the big picture. I fell asleep quickly.
The Real Thing
At 7:10 I woke up with the worst
contraction yet. I tried to walk to the bathroom to not wake the kids
(the three who were sleeping in our room still). I had to bend over the
bed's footboard on the way there. I made it into the master bathroom
again and decided I'd fill the bath again. I had a few more much
stronger contractions but didn't time them.
I figured this was a
good sign but still felt really defeated from the earlier fake out.
Michael usually leaves for work fairly early and was running late as it
was close to 7:30 already so I called Brenda again to let her know and
ask her if she thought he'd be okay going to work or not (30 minutes
away). She agreed it was a good sign and she also thought I should call
my mom just in case I needed the childcare. I was pretty exhausted so
whether in labor or not I figured it was a good idea to give her the
heads up.
Michael agreed to stay home till 9am and we could reassess
then if he needed to go in or not. I was having my doubts still and
really didn't want to have Michael and my mom lose time at work or call
all our birth team in for nothing if this wasn't “the real thing.”
I
called Talitha at 8 (7:58). She reassured me and agreed I should call
my mom and that she would set up her own childcare as well, just in
case.
The kids woke up shortly after this (late for them since
they went to bed a little late) and Daddy took them downstairs for
breakfast.
The contractions were getting harder despite my denial
still. I started yelling for Michael occassionally to run upstairs and
give me hip squeezes as I worked through them, still in the tub. C came
in during one contraction and asked why I was upset. Daddy said it was
because the water in my bath was too cold, still concerned though she
asked me if Daddy was telling the truth or not. I assured her I was
fine and mentioned Ami (my mom) might be coming to visit today (I didn't
want to mention the baby maybe coming since I still didn't believe it).
This excited her enough though and she had to run back to let her
siblings know.
Throughout the early morning I still had no
appetite but as I was very tired after very little sleep I forced myself
to eat granola bars and drink water in an attempt to keep up my energy.
I
gave in and called my mom, but was sure to tell her that this may not
be it (since things stopped before) and that it was just to let her be
prepared in case. It was good I called then since she almost left her
house without her phone this morning.
A bit after 9, something
changed so I called my mom again. The contractions picked up, though
still weren't as close as I'd expect and I needed Michael more often. I
decided, labor or not I needed her help watching the kids and needed
Michael with me.
At 10 (9:58) I called Talitha again to let her
know that I had my mom coming and Michael staying home, whether this was
labor or not. She said she was planning to take her kids to Marietta
either way so she'd be near me whatever I wanted when I needed her. I
told her I thought my contractions were still pretty far apart but then
on the phone with her had 2 contractions in 4 minutes that made her
think I was further along than I realized.
Talitha was amazing
comforting me that no one would care if they arrived earlier than the
baby and that everyone just wanted to be there for me but that it was my
choice if I wanted her, or anyone else to come. She said how she
thought from talking to me (hearing me fighting my doubts along with the
contractions) that I wanted her there soon but she wanted me to make
the choice whether it was or not.
This was just what I needed to
hear. I almost cried. It was hard for me finding the balance between
wanting to please people (well not upset them having them there too soon
or not at all) and feeling I was completely in control and supported in
my birth. With K's birth I felt as though I could've almost gone
unassisted, but this birth was more like E's and I wanted that support.
Talitha sensed this and was perfect in approaching it with me. I told
her I needed her and she said she would leave shortly.
At 10:11am
I called Brenda and told her the contractions were stronger but I still
wasn't sure how long till baby arrived but maybe this was the real
thing, or at least my body was working. I told her I'd had a couple
contractions with Talitha on the phone and how Talitha was on her way.
Brenda trusted this and what I was saying as an indication and said
she'd keep in touch and be ready.
At 10:15 Talitha called back to let me know she was on the way. Things were definitely picking up still.
At
10:17 my mom called back to let me know she was on the way as well, she
mentioned road names but I couldn't talk. Later my mom said she knew I
was having the baby for sure then and there because I was overly polite
then hung up quickly which was actually because I was having a
contraction.
At 10:50 things were getting more serious so I text
messaged Sarah, our photographer to let her know we "might" need her as
well. I remember she'd mentioned us calling around 8cm and since Brenda
wasn't there yet and I was still doubting myself I thought I should wait
a bit before saying for sure if this was it or not.
At 10:57am,
since we expected my mom would be arriving any second, we called Brenda
again to tell her to head over. She told us she was already on the way
since hearing what I'd said Talitha had said she also expected the baby
would be here soon.
At 10:59 I had a particularly bad contraction
and yelled at Michael to come quick. He was juggling the kids and
running back to me. As I stood in the tub reaching for him, midway out
of the water, my water broke. It was clear but had some vernix in it. I
was kind of in shock because I still hadn't had bloody show before this
point (as I did with my other two labors). However, like with my others,
my water usually doesn't break until I'm pretty much in transition and
for me means baby is definitely getting close.
I told Michael to let
Brenda know my water had broke and message Sarah telling her too. In my
tired labor haze I forgot that Sarah (unlike my doula and midwife)
didn't know my pattern for labor and water breaking. Michael texted
Sarah that my water had broken and she replied “Yay! Having contractions
with it?” Michael thought this was hilarious and had to share with me
(since you know I'm on the edge of transition at this point). He replied
“Mhm Come when can” and she replied she would leave as soon as she
dropped her kids off.
My mom showed up not too long after this
and took over with the kids downstairs so I thankfully had Michael to
myself to help me work through the contractions. He would sit or lean
over the side of the bath tub and squeeze my hips and rub my back as I
growled through the contractions and pressed my face into his jeans leg.
I would sometimes reach my hands around his leg like a tree trunk I was
holding onto to to keep me on the ground, other times I'd hold his
hand, and sometimes I'd pierce my fingernails into the denim as I got
angry at the contractions. I think my husband was thankful for the jeans
because otherwise his legs would've been torn up. At one point I had my
face on his thigh and actually bit him though I didn't realize till
after.
I definitely did not feel as in control as I did with
later labor with K. At this point I also began cursing a bit (something I
don't normally do very often).
At 11:30 Brenda, and her
assistants Que, and Jen arrived to lots of growling and cursing and me
feeling like a mess though very thankful they were there.
Michael
had been trying to get the birth pool up for the past hour but I needed
him and kept calling him back so it didn't happen. I was fairly content
not to leave the tub at this point though anyway. Thankfully despite
the full night before, our hot water heater never ran out.
In my head I began comparing myself to tiger, growling, clawing, biting, angry.
I
still had a few moments of clarity between the onslaught of
contractions and during that time I apologized to Brenda and her
assistants for saying the f word (over and over a bit). Brenda laughed
and reminded me to not worry about it and just do whatever I needed to
get through. Jen checked the baby's heartbeat and all was perfect.
When
Brenda and her team arrived I wasn't sure who was there yet. As my
contractions were their worst I asked where Talitha was (I needed more
than just hubby's hip squeezes). Thankfully Talitha arrived right after
and similar to how E's birth went, her and Michael started combining
their efforts rubbing my back, massaging my shoulders, and doing the hip
squeezes. These were more difficult over the edge of our bath tub but
none the less worked. A bit after noon Sarah arrived as well.
Brenda
asked to check me, but at this point the contractions were worse than I
remembered with my others and I had finally lost the whole “Is this
real” and didn't care what dilation I was or wasn't so I replied, "No
you can't check me right now, I'm know I'm in transition, so there." I
continued with some things to the effect "Why the hell did I want to do
this again, I want to just be pregnant forever, they're not coming, it
doesn't want to come out well that's fine, I'll just keep the belly
forever, fine!"
This was rough and I lost my sense of time through
the contractions. After what I felt like was forever though looking back
was less than an hour I admitted I might be pushing. Brenda and Talitha
agreed it sounded like it. Brenda wanted to check me to make sure I was
fully dilated though and not swelling myself up pushing before I was
ready.
Upon checking she said all I had left was a lip on left.
She wanted me to try shifting and blowing through the contractions as I
leaned toward that side. I felt my body was a bit out of my control at
this point and though I tried not to push and to blow through I really
wasn't sure if I was doing what they'd said or not. I was turning
circles in the tub trying to get comfortable and fight pushing as much,
or maybe direct it more at that side, not sure. Michael and Talitha were
amazing reassuring me how good I was doing but I still felt I was
fighting a never ending battle.
Talitha and Que said they wanted
me to do a standing lunge on the side of tub to get rid of the rest of
the lip. I tried, though felt like being out of the water was torture.
After a few minutes and a couple contractions I had a particularly
strong surge and slid down back into the water.
I apologized for
doing it wrong, and they assured me I was doing perfectly. I told them
it hurt and I couldn't do it, meaning birth more than the lunge.
Que
looked at me with her own calmness and beautiful strength (that she
always seems to have) and said how strong she thought I was and how I
was doing perfectly. I felt so much love and support around me. Que's
eyes and the calmness and support of the women surrounding me who all
got it made me think maybe I could be strong but in that realization and
threw tears I looked back and said “It's okay to be weak too, it's okay
that it hurts.” That was all I could get out before another contraction
but I think my admission of my own pain and weakness and my own
acceptance of it really brought me that strength.
Between pushes
and tears I found moments of peace. I prayed aloud and in my head and
quietly cried while looking at the sky and sun through the bathroom
window while leaning back in the water.
Talitha pulled my hair
back gently and rubbed some oil on my shoulders (which thankfully I
didn't have any issues with the scent and just was relaxing), Michael
kept telling me how much he loved me and how proud he was even as I bit
him through his jeans again.
I moved in the water and finally
felt my baby's head right at the edge of crowning. They told Brenda I
thought I felt the head and I said I did but it wasn't out yet just
right there at the edge. I was still not as in control as in K's birth
but this was also nothing like E's pushing stage either. With the lip
gone the contractions and my body worked together completely against my
control. I didn't push too many times but the baby was big, and would
move in and out, back and forth, forward and back. I had to get used to
the fact the baby would move forward a lot only to slip back a little. I
told the baby “You can do it, come on” over and over. At least I'd
gotten past my earlier place of “it doesn't want to come out.”
Brenda
asked if I wanted Michael to catch and I looked at him and said “I may
need your help more this time.” I was leaning back more and reaching to
guide the baby out myself was more difficult. He asked what I meant and a
contraction hit so I said “Yes you catch!” He and Brenda switched sides
of the tub since he'd been closer to my head and she was checking heart
rate again just in time for our baby to slip into his hands. He quickly
pulled her into my hands above the water and up onto my chest.
Finally at 12:46pm (only a bit over an hour after my birth team arrived though it felt like a century) our baby was born.
After Birth:
I was crying with joy and relief at
this point. I spoke with the baby saying “You did it! You made it
here!” Other than being exhausted, in love, and in awe I also noted her
head molding and joked there was no way to doubt she was born vaginally
(also this made sense with how she moved forward and back with the
pushing).
Daddy and I laid baby down for him to say "it's a
girl!" Because she was right there on me and he wanted to be sure
before saying we both knew before he said it. Through more happy tears I
said “I knew it, I knew it, it was what I wanted all along.”
As
we basked in the moments and waited for the cord to stop pulsing I asked
for weight guesses, since my babies always seem tiny to me at arrival
no matter how big they might really be. Everyone guessed in the late
8lbs to mid 9s with Brenda getting closest to actual.
After the
cord stopped pulsing Michael cut it. The cord was very long and after
cutting it there was still a lot that was trimmed to a tie later.
We drained the water to check my bleeding and I was hemorrhaging a little so I was given something to help with that.
Since
we had some craziness with the placenta when I had K (succenturiate
placenta which tore in half and was retained partially requiring Brenda
to remove it manually) I was concerned this might happen again. While I
sat nursing though painlessly and surprising us my placenta slid out on
it's own like nothing.
I knew once we told the kids they'd want
to come up so we waited a bit on telling them, and my mom who was
watching them. Everyone kept the secret for a bit as we refilled the tub
with the herbal sitz bath. Que went out in the yard and got some
flowers to put in the bath for us. I asked for some of the blue
hydrangeas because they are special to my family. Growing up my mother
always had blue hydrangeas in our yard because her grandmother Lura (my
namesake), and mother Alberta, always them in theirs and with this
little girl's pregnancy and birth I felt it was very special we had them
in the yard at our new house (planted by the previous owners).
Everyone left the bathroom for a bit so Michael and I could sit, talk, and just take in our new baby.
This
is when we chose her name as well. Lea means meadow and weary and
Alberta is my mother and grandmother's name. I felt the first name was
perfect, especially when thinking back to her birth tiring me out and
also that calm and peace at the end, reminding me of a meadow, bursting
with new life.
Meeting the family/Baby stats:
After
the herbal bath we left the bathroom and moved to the bed. I changed my
clothes and Michael brought the kids and my mom upstairs to surprise
them that their JuneBug had arrived.
Before doing the newborn exam we laid Lea on the bed and unwrapped her so the kids could see if they had a sister or brother.
J
was the first one to say “a girl” and thankfully Sarah got the moment
on camera. J said he was extra special because he had so many sisters to
take care of and was the only boy. We gave C and J necklaces that said
big sister and big brother and then had my mom/Ami hold the baby as we
announced her name to everyone for the first time. My mom teared up
because of the Alberta of course and I was fighting happy tears as I saw
her reaction.
Jen did the newborn exam with Lea laying on me
skin to skin. Brenda weighed her and surprised us that she was 9oz more
than K at 9lbs15oz 22in and she had a 15in head (which was less of a
surprise to me).
The kids loved the excitement and talking to all
the ladies about their little JuneBug. E (our 2.5 year old) kept
wanting to look at “Le-la” and K (20 months) would squeal and kiss the
“buh-bee!” over and over. C's favorite moment was when Lea grabbed her
finger with her hand.
J (almost 5) was very proud of his big
brother role but also thinking towards being a father himself it seems.
He got upset talking to Sarah and said "I don't know how to use the
phone so how will I call you when my baby comes some day?” but then
calmed down when realizing “Well maybe the Mommy can call you."
Sarah
took some amazing pictures of us as a family of seven and with our
birth team. I especially love that she also got to capture a picture of
Talitha and I with my three VBA2C girls, all three she's doulaed for.
Everyone
left after a bit and though I was tired I could still barely sleep
since looking back it didn't feel real. It was a lot different than my
previous births, still what my body needed, and the story I was meant to
live, I didn't chose it as much as just lived it and accepted it, and
I'm so happy I could do what I could, in our home, surrounded by so much
love, strength, faith, and trust, to meet my little Lea.
Update:
It's now been 5 weeks since I had my 5th
child. Physically I am feeling great other than the initial rougher
postpartum cramping being more severe than usual. I am wearing a binder
to help my diastasis. I had no real tears and within 2 weeks of having
Lea felt like I could do more physically than I could've before getting
pregnant, though I waited a bit longer before resuming physical activity
to not overdo it.
For a bit postpartum I felt a little guilty
for cursing a bit more, and maybe not relaxing as much as I might have
intended during the whirlwind labor and birth, but looking back and
talking to Michael, Talitha, and Brenda, I was strong and even needing
to curse or whatever was just doing what I needed to make it through and
therefore was doing what was best for my baby and myself. This birth
may have been a more tiring journey than my others, but it was still
beautiful for me and I never doubted God was there with me and that I
was supposed to be birthing safely in my own home, even if I did doubt I
was in labor or that the baby would ever come out.
It's funny
how looking back it seems so much longer to me than it was. Michael says
he thinks it was easier for us than K's birth, I wonder if maybe that's
just because he had more sleep though he says otherwise. Either way
though looking down at this perfect little girl I would go through it
all again over and over for her.
Thanks to my amazing birth team,
Brenda my midwife, my doula Talitha, and the midwife assistants and as I
think of them my co-doulas Que and Jen! Thanks so much to Sarah for the
gorgeous pictures and memories she captured for us that day! And Thanks
to all the wonderful ladies of ICAN once again!
I am so blessed to have this support network and I am so thankful I could share a third pregnancy and birth journey with yall.
No comments:
Post a Comment