Monday, September 24, 2012

How School is Going

Figured almost a month in it's about time I give an update on how school is going specifically for C as she's officially in Kindergarten. Last year we homeschooled but what started much more structured turned into more unschooling with so many changes for our family (moving to a new house being the biggest factor) and that was great for us since though C and J learned a lot still at 3 and 4 the structure was a lot to put on them and me honestly.

Anyway after much deliberation I decided for this year we would try something new. I knew we still wanted to home school but we also wanted more information on the public school curriculum and to have something that was more structured for C again but less dependent on me starting from scratch figuring everything out. I also really wanted to push one of my favorite things about homeschool the independent learning it can foster. This is where K12 came in. We are now trying the public online schooling. I still am with C 75-85% of her school day but the way it is set up she also can do many things on her own and can push ahead at her own pace while in a brick and mortar school she'd be waiting on everyone else, including the teacher, to catch up or let her move forward.

C loves the program. Every lesson has a on computer or off option so most days we're still doing school anywhere we want but if she wants to do the online part there's lots of great supplemental games and activities that are familiarizing her with technology as well as with the concepts of the lesson.

She is sounding out words and starting to read more on her own each day. She is meeting all her math goals and then some. And though I don't think the program is perfect for right now it is the perfect middle of the road solution for our family.

Our current plan if things continue going so well is that next year J will do the kindergarten curriculum and C will do first grade through K12. Then the following year we will switch to another curriculum for our family when both C and J are reading and we will hopefully be in our own permanent home then and E and K can start in another curriculum of their own. Not sure whether that will be an all encompassing curriculum like the Sonlight curriculum or bits and pieces combined (like Singapore Math plus other specific subjects) but I'm sure we will find what works best for each child as the years come. That could even be back to the brick and mortar classroom I don't know but right now we're all loving this program here and now for C and a continued more unstructured approach for J. The babies are still doing the same educational games and activities I did for fun and to instill a foundation of skills in C and J without forcing it and they're doing wonderfully as well.

Random additional contemplation:
It's funny how when I first had C everything became about firsts. I felt I had to compare to other children to make sure C was on track and though all my kids have been ahead usually, now at number 4 I realize the only person I'm comparing them too anymore is themselves. If C or J make a learning goal for themselves it's their choice and however long it takes them to get there is fine they're doing perfect for them. I love that homeschool fosters this. C doesn't ask how she's doing compared to other kids or other's expectations but how she's doing compared to how she did and her own expectations for herself. I hope she keeps this up and as long as she's doing her personal best she is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment